This family and community based temple is open to visitors for immersive tours.
The Maryen Peroumal Temple is actually the only temple on the island today which allows travellers to enter inside its walls. Learn all about the deities, the philosophy of the Tamil culture and ancestral rites. Visitors will find themselves immersed in this universe of worship and religion and enjoy a rare and rewarding experience.
Activity Schedule :
The day before: to respect this sacred place, when bookings are made, travellers are strongly advised to fast on the day before the tour. This means no meat and no animal products. And eating only vegetables and starchy foods (rice, grains etc.).
For information, all practising Hindus who want to come to the temple to pray or enter inside the temple walls, must fast for a few days.
This day of fasting will enable travellers to immerse themselves in this experience and enjoy this special moment to the full
On the day of the tour:
• 10am: Meet in front of the Maryen Peroumal Temple in Saint André
• Welcome by Jaïro
• Briefing and start of the tour
• Explanation about the temple façade (architecture, history, deities etc.)
• Then, the small group will enter the temple following a route similar to that taken by the faithful when they come to pray at the Temple.
• Throughout the tour, as Jairo explains about the venerated deities, you will take part in various rituals (e.g. lighting the lamp, incense).
All your senses will be awakened and travellers will be immersed in this universe of different beliefs and bright colours.
• This very comprehensive tour will rouse your curiosity, enable travellers to (re)discover the Tamil culture and experience a special moment inside a "Malbar" temple (this is what Hindus are called on Reunion Island)
• The tour ends around midday
What makes it special:
- The only tour of this kind on the island
- Total immersion in this religious universe
- A family and community based temple
Out of respect for this holy place, for the faithful, for the community and family who make this tour possible, appropriate attire is strongly encouraged.
The following are prohibited: shorts, skirts and short T-shirts, low-cut necklines and any leather accessories.
The visit will be from 2 people minimum.
|Friday 14 dec 2018||10:00 AM - 12:00 PM||Saint André|
|Friday 14 dec 2018||2:00 PM - 4:00 PM||Saint André|
|Friday 21 dec 2018||10:00 AM - 12:00 PM||Saint André|
|Friday 21 dec 2018||2:00 PM - 4:00 PM||Saint André|
|Friday 28 dec 2018||10:00 AM - 12:00 PM||Saint André|
|Friday 28 dec 2018||2:00 PM - 4:00 PM||Saint André|
|Street address 1|
|307 B chemin Maunier|
|Phone number (booking)|