The Calbanons in La Cafrine (cultural tour in Saint-Pierre)
This tour from the Southern Reunion Island Tourist Office is an opportunity to immerse yourself in the history of Reunion, its heritage and its food by visiting: the Calbanons workers’ houses in La Cafrine with the Golet Fishermen's Association.
The Calbanons in La Cafrine are where workers at the sugar refinery used to live.
A calbanon is, in effect, a house where the slaves lived. Where once the roofs were covered with straw, today they are corrugated iron and the calbanons of La Cafrine have stayed intact over time.
Located in La Cafrine, in the Grand-Bois district of Saint-Pierre, these calbanons were inhabited until the 90s.
- Meet at 9:30 in front of the calbanons
- A "la kour" guide will take you on a cultural tour describing life in the calbanons. You will visit these homes and discover how difficult life was for workers at the Grand-Bois factory.
- Once the tour is complete, you will be invited to attend various cookery workshops and you will learn how to weave screw pine leaves.
- You will eat a typical Reunion style meal in a friendly atmosphere. And to finish off, the Golet Fishermen's Association will put on a show of dances "from days gone by".
- In the Saint-Pierre, Cilaos and L'Etang Salé Tourist Offices.
- By email, by phone.
- Timings: start of the tour: 9:30am - Duration: 5 hrs 30 min
- Takes place: all year, booking required
- Capacity: 40 people
|Saturday 21 mar 2020||9:30 AM||Saint-Pierre|
|Saturday 18 apr 2020||9:30 AM||Saint-Pierre|
|Saturday 16 may 2020||9:30 AM||Saint-Pierre|
|Saturday 27 jun 2020||9:30 AM||Saint-Pierre|
|Saturday 18 jul 2020||9:30 AM||Saint-Pierre|
|Saturday 22 aug 2020||9:30 AM||Saint-Pierre|
|Saturday 26 sep 2020||9:30 AM||Saint-Pierre|
|Saturday 17 oct 2020||9:30 AM||Saint-Pierre|
|Saturday 21 nov 2020||9:30 AM||Saint-Pierre|
|Phone number (booking)|